Monday, November 12, 2007

The Scotch Whisky Experience, Mice, and the Release of the Ginger Prince...

Fresh from the train to Scotland, working another day of labeling and filing at CBS. Scotland was quite the adventure, beginning with the dance we all attended on Friday night. I'm going to butcher this spelling, but we went to a Calig, which is like a giant group dance where people come together from all over the world. It was really bizarre and fun, and unlike anything that I have ever done before. You mix up with different groups of people and then there are two people who are kind of like emcees who teach you the dance that is about to be played. Then you dance with complete strangers and if you are a girl you end up getting passed around the room like mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving - and let me tell you, it was a big ballroom. We all danced with men and women from about fifteen different countries, it was a lot of fun. Also, Bill and I polka-ed. Twice. You can't turn a guy like that down.

When we arrived we went to Edinburgh Castle which was fun and also convenient since it was right next to the completely awesome hostel that we stayed at. All 20 of us stayed in one room - together. It's sort of a wonder that any of us are still speaking. On Saturday we went on a tour of the new Scottish Parliament building, and then proceeded to climb Arthur's Seat, which is the highest point in Scotland, I believe. I was impressed that I made it, but even more impressed that I did it in my Banana Republic boots without getting any blisters. Sweet. After we climbed the mountain we had free time so Allison, Kelly, and I went on the Scotch Whisky Experience. Oh boy.

Ok, first of all I didn't realize that Scotch meant Scotland. I just thought it was a brand - but it was a good thing that I kept that realization to myself. So you go to this place, where they begin with a straight tasting (EW.) And then you watch a series of funny, cheesy videos - one included a hologram - before boarding your very own whisky barrel and going on a ride through whisky history. At a snail's pace you pass elaborate wax scenes and really excellent sound effects. I really have no words for The Scotch Whisky Experience other than innovative brilliance. I sure felt enlightened at the end of it. If you ever find yourself with an hour to kill in Edinburgh, I highly suggest taking the tour. You will not be disappointed.

After that tour de force, it was time to hit the pubs. We ate at the Deacon Boone Pub, which is where the guy that inspired Jekyll and Hyde used to frequent. Everyone else sort of glossed over that fact (or perhaps they had too much whisky??) but I thought that it was very cool that Robert Louis Stevenson tracked this lunatic down at this particular pub. We went to another pub that was named after a woman that was hung in the square but not actually killed. They're sort of morbid in Edinburgh, fair warning - but my 'Half-Hung' was fab.

On Sunday we went to Hoolyrod Palace, where Mary Queen of Scots lived, and also where the Queen's royal residence is. It was interesting, but again morbid when they pointed out exactly where on the wooden floor Mary's son was murdered and left. It was a good time. These trips really are crazy because you do so much in two days that you can't believe that you weren't gone for a week.

I returned to my flat to find that the mice that my roommates have known about for a few weeks now were in my room. I don't really know what else to say about this, other than that I don't understand how someone can think that its OK to have mice scattering about. It's not. REALLY not. I've been up since 3:30 afraid of the mice and I'm meeting an exterminator at 5:30 at the flat. Not cleaning the kitchen or vacuuming is one thing. But I'm not going to live in some mouse hole. Ugh. I can't even think about it. I've basically had it with my roommates, and a few nameless others, and think that this weekend will come as a well needed break from the other Americans. Oy.

In other news, Harry is now available. Apparently Chelsy was pissed that he kept hooking up with other girls or something. Pshh. Like THAT matters. Anyway, I've decided that since I've recently been liberated, and he's recently been liberated, its time to meet up. I've been here for three months, and my tet a tet with the man himself is long overdue. Wish me luck.

Tonight my friend Amy and I are having dinner at our favorite, The Prince Edward. I feel good, because even though its Monday, many a good time has been had at the Prince - and I'm sure that tonight will be no exception. I think that I will go find Harry afterwards. He told me that he'll be the one with his shirt off, taking vodka shots. Easy enough.

Miss you all!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that if you make out with prince harry, we'll no longer be friends. That's my dream, my goal, you can't take that from me. Siriusly

love,
(possibly soon to be ex-best friend)
Alix

Ms. Bizarro said...

bring me home some scotch! love the stuff - straight up. mmmm toasty insides.

looking forward to your homecoming.