First of all, I have to say that when I originally found the housing that I am living in I did not comprehend quite how awesome it was. When I think of the rat-infested hole I was in last summer my current situation looks like a palace, and to be fair it kind of is. I'm living on 21 Pembridge Gardens in Notting Hill. My next door neighbor is Stella McCartney and before Madonna built her 11 million pound pad downtown she also inhabited the street. Since landing I've been up to my old tricks and having a grand time. Apart from British social life (which, by the way, I don't know how I am ever going to part with) my classes are surprisingly interesting.
Considering my apprehension surrounding the limited class choice I don't think that the situation could have turned out better. On Mondays I have European Mass Media and British Art and Architecture, Tuesdays is Contemporary British Fiction, and Wednesdays means British Pop and Drama and the London Theatre. My fiction class is incredible. We are currently reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, which is so great. Next week we read the 6th Harry Potter book so I borrowed my friend Amar's copy and the HP books are different here, its so funny. The cover art is different and all of the Americanisms are removed - it's very cool. My fiction teacher, Lee, spent a majority of the first class teaching us stupid Americans the proper way to dunk a biscuit into tea. No kidding.
My British Pop class is also amazing, considering that I get to see one of my favorite musicians, David Gray, in concert - for class. He came last semester to London and the concert was sold out I was really bummed out. Good thing I have to see him now for an "educational" experience. The teacher is so funny, she's crazy.
Drama and the London Theatre is good, I have the same teacher I did last semester. We are seeing some great shows this time around, I'm most looking forward to Major Barbara and Arturo Ui. We had an extra show that wasn't booked yet and so I suggested we see the new Harold Pinter play that just got put on, and Jinny (my teacher) just said yes, she'll get the tickets. Ask and you shall receive.
The new Americans are cool, although I still have not met many of them. My roommate's name is Libby and she is great. I was nervous going into it because this situation could have gone very badly, but we mesh. Josh led me in the right direction. There are two other kids from IC here as well, Carolyn and Alyssa. I like them very much, and everyone in the house is SO friendly. You never feel alone because there's always someone to hang out with. Basically I'm living in a crazy posh Notting Hill house (Even Ed was impressed) with 30 American kids my age with no adults. I mean, we have two grad students who are meant to hold down the fort but how sweet is that?? Don't worry Mom and Dad, during the week the first floor is a office so there is an adult presence Monday through Friday, 9 to 5. It's the weekends that you should be concerned about. Just kidding.
It's sort of funny having Josh here because I so heavily associate him with home that there are still some times when it strikes me as odd that he's here. Haha, I can't really say much else because he is going to read this :) but it is safe to say that it is nice to have a piece of home here in Londontown. Also he has a triple room all to himself, so it doubles as storage for us girls. Hee hee.
Today I went browsing through Portobello Road Market which was fun, since I went all the way down. I hadn't ever followed it all the way through before. Some parts of it are really touristy, but if you look hard there are some very cool things to see. I'm meeting some more of my friend Amar's friends tonight, which should be good. It's definitely time to extend the circle, and with any luck there will be a girl involved for me to bond with!!
I miss you all!!
xxx.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment