Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hi Hi Hi

Hello everyone!

I'm sorry that I've taken a blogging hiatus, but life here has been *insane* This week (our first back from break) has been sort of that inertia experience that you want to be ready for but never actually are. The rest of break was great, I have lots of pictures to post but I am not on my computer so that will have to wait I'm afraid! It seems like everyone had a great break and are all happy to be back in London! Last night I saw The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui for drama class. It was good, but scary. Brecht's Ui was a direct reference to the rise of Adolf Hitler. I've always enjoyed Brecht plays, particularly Mother Courage, but its the kind of enjoyment that you glean after you're safely back in your own room. It's distressing in the theatre. And speaking of the theatre, The Year of Magical Thinking is coming to the National!! With Vanessa! I'm so there. I was talking to my friend Ed about it (different Ed, don't get confused :) ) And I convinced him to go. But I told him that I would cry the entire time and not to judge me, haha. For serious though, I am SO excited.

This weekend Josh, Libby, Carolyn and I are going to Paris! Woohoo! I don't think I can stomach the Louvre again (again, again) because I'm just not that cultured - but I will be making at stop at the Musee D'Orsay. All is not lost. I can practice my new found French. After being here for 8 months, I've figured out to have the basic conversation. For example I can say how are you, but I can't answer yet. I should get on that. The thing is that I've always found that in France if I smile and flounce about I've never had trouble getting French boys to help me. It's a gift. We're going to be staying in a hostal that is in the middle of the city, thank goodness! Last time I went to Paris with friends we stayed in Epinay Sur Seine aka NOT the middle of the city. Not even the city. Outside the city, in fact. We leave Friday morning on the Eurostar.

Until that time however I am going to be composing a 2,000 word essay on Atonement. The book, not the concept. This paper is due on Friday but I have to hand it in on Thursday because of said plans. It is now Wednesday. Now, I've *thought* about starting the paper, I just haven't actually done it yet. No worries though, I have until 8 tomorrow evening and I don't have class at all so I will be here, at the London Center writing away. No doubt there will be some blogging involved I am sure, as there's no way I'm actually going to have that long of an attention span. I'm going to start it this afternoon, I swear. I didn't used to be like this. To all my professors reading, don't you remember how I used to stress and stress and stress? Yeah. I've lost that characteristic somewhere between New York and London. Or Point A and the pub. You know, whatever.

I've done well on my midterms thus far - A - in Art and Architecture and an A on my media paper. Already things are looking up from last semester, haha. My British friends still don't believe me when I say that I actually attend classes. I don't blame them, but they can hardly say anything. They've taught me everything I know.

On another, more serious note - I want to express my deep regret and sympathies for a local family and friend. I urge all of you, if you know anyone that is struggling to reach out and help them, or guide them somewhere where they can find help. There are lots of articles online about advice and places to go. Please visit Save.Org to learn about ways that you can help those that are finding life difficult right now. Everything can make a difference. Rest in peace, A.H.

xx

No comments: