Greetings all, from beautiful Lisbon, Portugal! The weather is beautiful, the architecture is straight out of Pirates of the Caribbean (yes, I do know that I negated anything that will follow this sentence), and the people are extremely helpful. We landed around 2:30 here and promptly found the hotel and took a nap! The plane ride was fine, if not a bit bumpy - and I learned that smiling at random Portuguese people is not the best idea. They don't seem to have the kind of amicable response us American folk do. Bizarre.
Tonight we had a great dinner at this place with an incredible view of the city. Getting there was an adventure as the city is very steep and the taxi drivers like to play the 'how-fast-can-I-go-without-flipping-over' careening game. It was all good though, we made it. The salads were amazing. It sounds kind of gross but they put sea salt on it, along with onions and mozzarella balls and it was kind of incredible. The waiter taught me how to say thank you in Portuguese (Obligado!) So naturally I proceeded to thank him for everything he did. I think that "thank you" is a very important phrase to learn when traveling in a foreign country. I am determined to repel the "ugly American" stigma attached to me.
Tomorrow we are going on an all day tour of Lisbon and the surrounding towns. It should be good fun, plus it's the easiest way to get streamlined culture - and let's face it, us Americans are all about convenience! I'm excited to see the highlights of this beautiful country.
That's all for now - bon soir! (Yeah, it's French but hey - I'm international now!) Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow.
xx
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment