Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My co-worker went to Hogwarts, and all I got was...

Another Wednesday, another adventure at CBS Paramount Int.

Today the receptionist and I were talking about school and she said that she went to Durham, which is where they filmed Harry Potter. Really. She said that they had formal dinners and everything in a great hall, just the way you would think an English university would. I am SO jealous. Why doesn't Ithaca have special outfits that we have to wear? American schooling is lame, clearly.

I finally finished the book that I've been struggling through for Irish Literature - the Star of the Sea by Joseph O'Conner. I know, I know - its a classic, but it doesn't change the fact that it was 400 pages of '15 more died last night. We committed their remains to the sea.' Ugh. Enough is enough. My project as of late is redecorating my journal. I bought some really awesome paper to cover it in when I was in Paris, I just haven't found the time to give it a face lift yet. I will put a picture up when I do, because I know that its going to look really cool.

I've been reading The Secret History again (again, again, again) because I was inspired this summer after reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics. People wonder why that book was a hit - its because it completely scammed off of The Secret History, which is an international bestseller. If you have a choice between the two, read the latter - its more interesting and innovative.

Its been pretty quiet around the flat. Last night we had our friends over until way too late but it was fun. I thrust myself out of bed this morning to find that we had no hot water. Again. The gremlins are back. I jumped in and jumped out quickly. When I was in Cuba the hot water was dodgy but this is ridiculous.

Dodgy. I love that I get to say things like that now. I hear that its boiling off the charts back at home, so to all of you sitting in heat and humidity (particularly you souls up in Ithaca) I am very sorry. Here it is definitely fall, but a really pretty, crisp fall. I wouldn't want to be in the heat now, its fall time. Of course that means that the weather will quickly turn into wintertime, which is a time I wish I could skip entirely. Can't have it all.

'Across the Universe' comes out here tomorrow -- does anyone know if it is out in the States yet? (Yes Alix, I will still see it with you over thanksgiving) I was just wondering what everybody thought? Good/bad/mediocre? I've heard different things, but I really like the concept. Even though Rachel Evan Wood is CRAZY. Hopefully that is a detail I will be able to get past.

In other random news, I've discovered this juice bar near my work called BLAST, and it is so good. Its better than Jamba, which I didn't think was a possibility. Once you find good food here, you really score. There is another juice place around the corner from my flat and the juices are so good that they remind me of the ones that I drank while I was in Havana. Last night I had Mango-Papaya-Guava and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Plus they are totally healthy for you. Sweet deal.

I've been eating so much fruit since I've been here, I don't know what it is, but at least I know I'm not going to come down with Scurvy or anything.

Not much else to report, its all jolly over here in London town.

Miss you all.

No comments: